Our Financials

We meet international standards for quality, accountability, and transparency.

How we fund our work

About 65 percent of our income comes from the contributions made by our participants. The other 35 percent is generated by our office.

For most of our projects, participant contributions are multiplied in value through a premium paid by the Wild Geese Foundation (Wilde Ganzen). In this arrangement, the foundation adds a premium of 55 percent to the result of our participants’ fundraising efforts.

We further multiply participant contributions by using them as the match funding required to obtain grants from institutional donors and gifts from private and corporate foundations.

How we use our funds

We allocate 84 percent of our expenditures to civic engagement and development programs. That means that 84 out of every 100 euro we spent goes to our programs, while 8,5 euro goes to fundraising and 7,5 euro to administration. Our fundraising efficiency is 0.1, which means that we raise 100 euro in charitable contributions with every 10 euro we spent on fundraising.

How we meet standards for financial accountability
There's a number of indicators that we meet international standards for quality, accountability, and transparency:

  • We're accredited by the Central Bureau on Fundraising (CBF), the most important independent accreditation agency for fundraising charities in the Netherlands and a member of the International Committee on Fundraising Organizations.
  • We're ISO 9001:2008 certified. This means that our management system meets international standards for quality management.
  • We participate in the Transparency Award, a competition for the best annual report among charities in the Netherlands. Our FY2013 report scored an A-rating for Compliance, a B-rating for Communication, and a C-rating for Impact.
  • We're externally audited by WITh, an accountancy firm specialized in non-profits.

Tax exemption
World Servants Netherlands has the ANBI tax-exempt status. ANBI stands for Public Interest Serving Institution, which is the Netherlands equivalent of the 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. World Servants USA, our fiscal sponsor, has been granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c) (3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. Their tax identification number is 59-2707198.